Saturday, January 18, 2014

Two Things

Two unrelated but memorable things happened today that have to do with my kids. 

First of all, Zach texted me this morning to tell me about his newfound shopping, budgeting and breakfast cooking skills which may seem like a minor thing, but I found it interesting for several reasons.  First of all, it makes me happy when he shares his daily happenings with me. He's busy and I don't get to hear much so when I get a text from him, I pay attention. The second thing is that I appreciate the effort he is going to to save money by shopping and cooking and the responsibility that goes along with that. And thirdly, for around $3 he made ham, biscuits and gravy and pancakes. My baby's growing up....

The second thing that happened today concerns Gloria. Today is Megan's birthday. She is having a big party with about 30 kids at the Adams' house. Most of the kids are from her school and Gloria was one of the few who wouldn't know many people. There was a time communication problem concerning what time the party started so I ended up taking her to the Adams' house an hour late, 5:30 instead of 4:30. Kristin said all the kids were a couple of blocks away playing basketball while waiting for the pizza so I could just drop her off there instead.  She was embarrassed, I think, at being late and it felt kind of strange to just leave her on the corner with a bunch of strange kids but she got out and I drove away. 

A few hours later, 8:30 pm, to be exact, I got a phone call. The man on the other end had an official sounding voice and asked to speak to the parents of Gloria Baker. For some reason my heart started pounding and I was quickly running scenarios through my head: car accident, jail, disappearance...

I said I was her mother and he identified himself in a low, serious voice along with the reason for his call. Turns out Gloria's name is next on the wait list for drivers ed. 

Who calls at 8:30 on a Saturday evening to give you that kind of news?? And why did my mind immediately think she might be in jail?

So... Yeah. 


No comments: